Top Ten Book Turn-Offs

My picks for the Tuesday Top Ten, as invented by The Broke and Bookish.

This week's theme is Top Ten Book Turn-Offs. Although I admit, even if the book I'm reading has one of these, I usually push through so I can give a decent critique... A book has to have a lot of problems for me to mark it DNF.
  1. Bad grammar...
  2. ...and bad spelling! There is really no excuse for abusing the English language then selling it.
  3. Love at first sight. Unless the story is a fairytale and time is of the essence, there needs to be actual emotion in emotional issues.
  4. Metaphor/Simile overdose. When authors forget to describe what things are and not just what things are like.
  5. Vagueness. Poor setting descriptions, that leave me asking "Where are we now?" 
  6. Detailed attention to ridiculously non-relevant things. Do I really need to know every, single item the main character picks out to wear, along with color, pattern and textile? Unless this person's clothing is going to be used to solve a crime...
  7. Flat characters. Characters are like people, but fictional. They need a past, personality, they need to have emotion, and they should evolve. Nobody stays exactly the same forever.
  8. Abuse of Red Herrings.
  9. Abuse of dialogue tags.
  10. Killing off animal characters to make a point. I'm an animal lover, so hurting animals, even fictional ones, always ruins my day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post

Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want to Live In

Top Ten Things On My Bookish Bucket List