One Tiny Sentence.

Happy Friday! I'm trying something new today:

Book Beginnings on Fridays is hosted by Rose City Reader -  Share the opening sentence (or so) of the book you are reading this week. You can also share from a book that caught your fancy, even if you are not reading it right now.


"He was an easy mark." 
- The City of Brass by SA Chakraborty

I'm just starting this book, and it starts with one tiny sentence. The first word that comes to mind is: cocky. "He was an easy mark," not "He was my mark." The use of 'easy' makes all the difference. The second word that came to mind was: sly. Who has a 'mark' anyway? Hitmen and thieves, and people who are generally up to no good... I've waited all summer to start this book, the anticipation was driving me up a wall and from the first five words, I'm not yet disappointed.

I'm also here with my usual:

This week's question:

Q: What are your thoughts on book-to-book comparisons (for example, it's the next 'Harry Potter'')?

A: I absolutely hate them. Lev Grossman's The Magicians was advertised as the next 'Harry Potter' and I thought the book was terrible. It wasn't a matter of apples and oranges. It was a matter of apples and horse radish. Book-to-book comparisons are just a way of giving a new book a little hype.

Let me know what you think about today's quote and/or question down in the comments section!


Comments

  1. I hope that you continue to enjoy The City of Brass.

    I don't take much notice of the book comparisons, I haven't always read the books that they are being compared to!

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/08/16/book-blogger-hop-book-to-book-comparisons/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must make it easier to view the book as an individual!

      Delete
  2. I am 100% with you. I had the same issue with Rivers of London which was supposed to be a cross between Harry Potter and something else, or Harry Potter for grownups... I don't remember exactly but it was NOT at all like it, other than there being some magic in it. I didn't end up liking it much, and didn't finish the series. I have often wondered if I might have enjoyed it more if I'd just gone in blind without any other ideas in my head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's the thing too, that book B can't let you down for not living up to the standard set by book A if nobody tried to make the comparison to begin with.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your thoughts! I try to respond to all comments and questions, so come back soon!

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post

Top Ten Things On My Bookish Bucket List

Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want to Live In