Z = Zodiac Station by Tom Harper

 

I traditionally open each review with a quote from the book, but I regifted the book and couldn't look one up for you. I apologize for the quality of this, my last review of A-Z Challenge, but I suppose it's on par with the quality of the book.

Upon reading the last few sentences of the story, I shouted aloud, "Oh, c'mon!" (I actually think I swore in my exclamation, but I try to keep this blog safe for kiddos.)

The book starts great, just so you know. Pretty much as good as a murder mystery at an isolated research station could be. Paranoia, espionage, sabotage, set on the backdrop of the vicious polar landscape... Then towards the end, it's like the writer decided he doesn't really do murder mysteries anymore so here's an ending for sci-fi nerds instead... And I am a sci-fi nerd, but, c'mon. 

I loved the ending in a way. I loved it in the way that I'd really love to read the beginning half of that story because, realistically, the ending and the beginning needed two different plotlines to support either. I believe the phrase deus ex machina is the one I want. Something unexpected and all too convenient occurs to tie up a plot that had begun to go south.

And the main character? What happens to him? Who knows.

But I was entertained while I was reading it. If you're looking for a mystery with a sci-fi twist you might like this more than I did.

Comments

  1. I've read a few books lately that I enjoyed right up until the ending, so I think I'll pass on this one. Enough frustration for now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you were disappointed. I've read a few books where I thought I must have missed something because the second half didn't match the first half. Congratulations on finishing the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your thoughts! I try to respond to all comments and questions, so come back soon!

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post

Top Ten Things On My Bookish Bucket List

Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want to Live In