G = Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

 Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch  by Terry Pratchett ,  Neil Gaiman


“Hell may have all the best composers, but heaven has all the best choreographers.”

The end is here...or nearing here. Heaven and Hell are quite excited about the apocalypse but they're the only ones. Demon Crowly and Angel Aziraphale have been sent to Earth to meddle in the affairs of humans for thousands of years...and they don't want the world to end... We have crapes, Queen, and books. The Antichrist is here to bring in the end of times but where exactly is here? Charged with watching over him, Crowly and Aziraphale are left panicked when they realize they lost the Antichrist. And a witch named Anathema Device teams up with luckless witch hunter Newton Pulsifer to find him.

So this is to date, one of the funniest books I've ever read, which maybe isn't saying too much because I don't read a lot of comedies. But I laughed so hard I nearly wet myself. I feel like there isn't too much I can say without spoiling the book, but if you thought Harry Potter was blasphemous, don't read this book, and sure as Hell don't watch the tv show.


"You look like a murder hornet."

Now if you are serious about spoiling the book for yourself, or you want to know the story without having to pick the book up, Good Omens was adapted into a tv show on Amazon Prime. I am not an affiliate of Amazon's nor am I trying to promote the service, that's just an unintended consequence of this review. But the tv show stayed so close to the source material you can practically smell the brimstone.

The casting was perfect. David Tennant struts around the screen like he owns it while Micheal Sheen worries incessantly about doing the right thing. Their yin and yang coming together to embody what it means to be human. While the book merely hints at the possibility of a romance, the show puts the chemistry on full display with characters who can't stop themselves from orbiting around each other.

Season 2 deviates from source material, with a less flushed out plot - but then it had no book to prop it up - and still manages to pull out a heartwrenching ending.

5 stars to both.

Comments

  1. I'm going to save reading this title for a day I seriously need a laugh. I have days like those. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. save the jokes for when you need the laughter most.

      Delete
  2. I tried to watch a few episodes of season 1 and I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I will try it again this summer when I have nothing else to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't get enough, and i guess theres no plan for a season 3 which irritates me to no end. :-(

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. No, I don't suppose it will be for everyone.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your thoughts! I try to respond to all comments and questions, so come back soon!

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post

Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want to Live In

Top Ten Things On My Bookish Bucket List