E = Eragon by Christopher Paolini


"All his work of the past three days had led to this moment. He took a last steadying breath and -- an explosion shattered the night." Eragon by Christopher Paolini 

Eragon, a poor farm boy from Carvahall, finds a beautiful blue gem while out hunting in the mountains near his home. His intention is to sell it at market, but the gem hatches, revealing a baby dragon. Literally overnight, his life is changed forever as he becomes one of the mythical Dragon Riders.

This is a young adult novel, written by a young adult, and as such reads like a young adult novel, and the reader shouldn't expect it to read any other way. And because I read it when I was roughly the same age as CP when he started writing it, it wound up holding a special place in my heart. My original rating of it, was as a five star novel, but this time around I dropped it down to a four.

It's real reason for dropping down to a four star rating though is CP's overuse of over used fantasy character stereotypes. We once again have and orphaned hero traveling with his mentor. There's a distressing damsel and an evil overlord whose minions are causing havoc across the countryside. The saving grace is that the hero of the story isn't looking to fight a war for the good of the people, he's actually on a quest for vengeance...which for such a young character is a delightfully dark motive.

Things I liked about the story included that the characters motives are clearly flushed out, and the terrain is richly described. The author made it easy to transport the reader to another world. I also liked that the author had a go at creating languages for the different races of mythical peoples to be speaking. New language is a lofty goal, sometimes fantasy novels just can't be bothered with worrying about what language a vastly different culture is likely to speak.

This is the only dragon book I've ever read, so I don't have anything else to compare Saphira to... I think some physical attributes are deeply believable, like dorsal spikes and armored scales. I have trouble believing they'd come in all colors of the rainbow, but I like how they're portrayed as a people instead of as animals. And I recognize how silly it is for me to examine the believability of a fantastical creature that doesn't exist, but the point of fantasy is the suspension of disbelief and Christopher Paolini, inexperienced he may have been, took a pretty good shot at making me suspend disbelief.

I'd definitely recommend this book to younger readers, and those readers out there who are still young at heart.



Comments

  1. I probably would have dropped the rating down a point too for the same reason in any book, the overuse of any arch type, stereotype, or exact formula, or overuse of anything, which makes a book seem tired. I like being surprised. I do love young adult fiction, though, and this is one I think two of my family members are going to love. So I could do that sneaky thing of buying it and reading it, and then giving it. :-) I have two Dragon lovers in my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buying, reading, and giving...that's ingenuous. like, i've bought books fo other people. i've read books. but i never bought a book for someone else but read it before giving it to them.

      Delete
  2. I think either my niece or nephew (maybe both) read it but I don't think it was one of their favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not for everyone, but that's awesome that they're both readers.

      Delete
  3. The first and the third books were good, but I couldn't even finish the last book because Roran irritated me to no end. Saphira was my favourite character.

    Ronel visiting for E: My Languishing TBR: E
    Gargoyles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, actually it was the ending of the last novel that got me. i had expectations that weren't quite fulfilled.

      Delete
  4. A thoughtful and thorough review-thanks! Four stars is still a good rating. I might need to bump this series higher on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it when you get around to it. thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your thoughts! I try to respond to all comments and questions, so come back soon!

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post

Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want to Live In

Top Ten Things On My Bookish Bucket List