Countdown: A Newsflesh Novella
by Mira Grant
This was an ok novella... A bit of a let down after reading the Newsflesh Trilogy.
- I liked seeing the doctors who created the virus and the jerk who set it free as far as understanding how it all began.
- And despite the peeks at the Mason family before Shaun and Georgia became a part of it, the POV of Marigold was most effective at explaining how innocent lives were being affected.
- I liked at the end of each "chapter" they showed the news reports.
What didn't work:
- The writing was frantic and vague; I know it was supposed to be a short story, but if a prequel is going to be invented it should add to the story somehow--it needed a little development.
- I wish the cause and effect had been built upon a little more; the Mason's are lovely before the infection and despite the devastating loss of their son I don't really see how they transformed into rating-hungry villains.
May 16, 12