The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman , Tony Moore

 


I normally open with a book quote, but today I'm skipping that because I thought a sound effect might be silly. This book was probably wasted on me. I've never read a graphic novel before and was recently inspired to do so. I'm a big Walking Dead fan (tv show) so I thought this would be the perfect first graphic novel.

Rick Grimes wakes up from coma to find the world he knew is gone. The dead are walking, his family is missing, and the fight for humanity has begun.

The artwork is way more sophisticated than I thought it would be, but because this is the only graphic novel I have ever read there's no comparisons to be made. So I liked the artwork, the attention to detail. The artist's ability to direct your focus is absolutely wonderful. I appreciate how hard it must be to draw all these different characters' faces and make sure to draw them exactly the same each and every time.

As a diehard fan of the tv show I'm a bit biased on the quality of the book (I thought it was good). But the differences are what really get me. I didn't hate the differences, if anything they enriched the reading experience. I only thought I knew the story, and each new character intro (or lack thereof) and plot twist surprised me as I saw the story through new eyes. 

I'm not sure I'll read another one, there's just not enough content to keep me busy, although I was entertained for a brief moment. I guess we'll see.



The synopsis for the tv show remains the same, starting with Rick's coma and eventual search for his missing family. He's resilient, as the hero should be, adapting fast to a changing world.

The first handful of seasons are arguably the best, with character introductions being overshadowed by character evolutions. You fall in love with these characters, believe in them and then: realize that the show-runners didn't find a single character too loveable to die.

If the special effects are great, the cosmetics are even better. Zombies so lifelike your skin will crawl, intestines so real you can smell the viscera.

The show gaining so much popularity over the years, it inspired a plentitude of spin-offs for the zombie apocalypse. There are countless hours to enjoy if flesh-eating monsters are your cup of tea, with still more to come...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post

Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want to Live In

E = Easy on the Eyes