The Desolations of Devil's Acre by Ransom Riggs


"For a long time there is only darkness and the sound of distant thunder and the hazy sensation of falling."

And so we finally have it, the last book in Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series, The Desolations of Devil's Acre. The war between good and evil has come to Peculiardom with Jacob and Noor at its center.

The last couple of books in the series, I reviewed negatively. I mean, come on, you have to know where you're going to get there, and the books aimlessly waffled. In this book, Ransom Riggs knows exactly where he's going, and he showed me the way with the quirky characters I've come to love and expect.

This was an action-packed, fast-paced finale, with stakes that have never been higher for the cast of peculiars. There's a moment near the end, where the characters are losing hope of victory and then - plot twist. The plot twist makes Jacob's seemingly useless relationship with Noor have a use, and makes me think Mr. Riggs knew what he was doing all along. And the twist is so clever I doubt anyone could guess at it, or maybe I'm just a terrible guesser.

I wish I could say more without spoiling the ending. I will say that this is how an ending probably should be written, no knot left untied. I love when all is said and done, there is closure, both for the characters and for the readers.

Comments

  1. I read the first book years ago but I didn't keep up with the series. Maybe now it's done I will try to do a binge read of the whole series.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your thoughts! I try to respond to all comments and questions, so come back soon!

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post

Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want to Live In

E = Easy on the Eyes