The Conference of the Birds by Ransom Riggs


"Right now we were hunting the wights, but if they ever realized it, they'd start hunting us right back." The Conference of the Birds by Ransom Riggs

The plot of this story isn't that spectacular. Jacob rescues Noor and helps her look for the mysterious V, with the usual fights with hollows and wights mixed in. Oh yeah, let's not forget the love at first sight teen romance that's about to unfold. That's pretty much it.

I'm not sure that this plot offered enough, I certainly expected more from it. The previous stories have been so successful with Jacob and his friends, I didn't understand the sudden teen romance that pushed all these other great characters into the background. 

With every book the photos are fewer and fewer, so if pictures are what you're after, don't depend on it. That's fine by me, because with every book the author is pulling more and more from imagination, and I'll give credit where it's due: he's got plenty of imagination. The world building is good, the peculiars are peculiar, he has a clear view of what he wants to happen and he shows it happening. He just doesn't plan a solid enough happening to create a solid enough storyline.

It's an adventure to be sure, but without the characters that made the story great, does it really matter?

3 Stars

Comments

  1. I had no idea that there were books in this series. I'm glad it was still imaginative, but a little sad that it was disappointing. I hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are 6 in all, this is number 5. I'm hoping to get a copy of the last one from the library and see if it got a decent ending.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your thoughts! I try to respond to all comments and questions, so come back soon!

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post

Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want to Live In

Top Ten Things On My Bookish Bucket List