In the Woods by Tana French

In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad #1) by Tana French


As a child something happened to Rob Ryan and his friends, something horrifying that he cannot recall. Now  he is a detective on the Dublin Murder Squad partnered with Detective Cassie Maddox who has her own checkered past. The pair find themselves investigating a murder that is eerily similar to the mystery of Rob's childhood...

 I'm left with mixed feelings on this book.

It was really slow to start and I felt I had to force myself into it... But once it had me hooked (by chapter five) I couldn't stop turning pages. I enjoyed that the author fleshed out her characters back stories so much and gave them depth because so many authors fail to tell us why characters are the way they are. But the downside is, is that there is such thing as having too many red-herrings. As the end neared, I kept expecting any minute now, any sentence now, one of those ghosts of the past will pop up to complicate matters...but they never did. And instead of being relieved that the main characters were safe, I was a bit disappointed. I did enjoy the occasional plot twists and I loved the vivid interrogation scenes.

In the end, this is not one of my all time favorites... But it is certainly intriguing enough that I'll give the sequel a go, the next time I'm in the mood for a police-driven mystery.

Rating 3/5
Original review posted:
Apr 2, 12

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post

Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want to Live In

Top Ten Things On My Bookish Bucket List