Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want to Live In

Today's topic was listed as Love Freebie  hosted by That Artsy Reader Girlbut I couldn't think of anything romantic, so I picked the Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want to Live In. In a book, you can go anywhere, do anything, meet anyone... But not every captivating story has a pleasant setting. It's one thing to imagine a world, it's entirely another to actually go there.




1. Arrakis, from Dune by Frank Herbert. It's too effing hot! Too much sun, too much sand, too much sweat. If the heat doesn't kill you, the sand-worms might...


2. Purgatory-Golf Course, from I Am Behind You by John Ajvide Lindqvist. It's got never-ending blue skies and green grass, what's not to love? I'm just resistant to the idea of a place with no food, no water, no sun... A place where the sins of your past will haunt you until you bleed.





3. Hollywood & Church of Scientology, from Leah Remini's Troublemaker. These are two locations that actually exist in the real world... Hollywood and Scientology have a lot in common: They'll both try and take your soul and you'll feel judged for who you are and who you hang out with. Hollywood will pay you for the self-abuse and Church of Scientology will take that paycheck to cover the costs of staffing abusers.






4. The Stillness, from The Broken Earth trilogy by NK Jemisin. With my luck, I'd trip and fall into a volcanic fissure.




5. What's left of USA, in The Passage by Justin Cronin. Where everyone you know, and yourself, will likely be ripped to shreds in the night.




6. Utgard from Zodiac Station by Tom Harper. It's too cold, too wet, and a poorly executed Deus ex machina roams free.




7. The creepy world Hiron Ennes creates in Leech. Makes my skin crawl.




8. As long as we're talking creepy crawly, what about Mira Grant's sci-fi series, Parasitology? Nope. Nuh-uh. No way would I agree to hosting a tapeworm in exchange for permanent good health.




9. The Terror by Dan Simmons... And we've come back to too cold. But with a side of demon-bear, frostbite, malnutrition, cannibalism, tongue removal... It's essentially a haunted Arctic circle.




10. The North End in The City Where We Once Lived by Eric Barnes. Climate change and economic collapse have ravaged this city, left it vacant and prone to catastrophic tornadoes and floods. The people who remain in this ghost town are left troubled and alone, dealing with a government that doesn't think they're worth the effort.



What fictional world would you hate to live in?

Comments

  1. Ha, great choice of topic! Yeah... most of the books I read I wouldn't want to live in, ha. Especially the ones with no internet!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, no internet would suck. thank you for stopping by.
      I hope you received my commetn on your blog, i couldnt tell, there was some sort of error.

      Delete
  2. Agreed. None of these sound fun!

    Here is my Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good list. These are amusing to read about but not to live through!

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    Astilbe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out that Parasite book. If you don't think about it, it's not really there, right? I also didn't do romance on mine, but chose aspects of books that make me love them.

      Delete
    2. That is certainly an optimistic way to view it, lol.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read these books yet and can tell I wouldn't want to live in these worlds either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like a terrible world to make you grateful for the one you are in.

      Delete
  5. What a great topic. I am in agreement with all these. I will take my new England suburb over any of these. Hope you have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh nice topic choice! There are definitely more than a few worlds and settings that I would not want to live it either! Lol.

    Thanks for visiting my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the topic. I've read Parasite, Dune and the Passage, so 100% agree on those. The Fifth Season is actually on my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy The Fifth Season when you get around to it, i found it hard not to love.

      Delete
  8. Great choice! I need to read Dune sometime soon. I did watch the recent film, though, and you're right. It's too hot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dune is a cool book but, I do not want to live in that world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your thoughts! I try to respond to all comments and questions, so come back soon!

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post

Top Ten Things On My Bookish Bucket List