Top Ten Books I Can’t Believe I’ve Never Read
I haven’t participated in Top Ten Tuesday in a while, I’m having trouble relating to some of the list topics being provided, but I wanted to do this one from June 2nd. The world is full of books and there are books not only do I want to read them, I should have already done so and I’m surprised at myself for not having done so.
1. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It’s classic literature and I’m told people either love it and find it moving, or they just don’t get it. With books that stir up so much passion (and sometimes confusion), I usually like to see what side of the divide I’m on.
2. Drood by Dan Simmons. This book is a horror/historical fiction about Charles Dickens’ life. Fact and fiction will blend seamlessly for me because I know nothing about Dickens outside of his books. I love when historical fiction crosses over into other genres.
3. A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin. I’m a fantasy fan, and Ursula Le Guin is supposed to be right up there with Tolkien; A Wizard of Earthsea has been hailed as a classic.
4. A Stir of Echoes by Richard Matheson. Another horror made the list; I saw the movie with Kevin Bacon and found it riveting. Usually the books movies are based on are better.
5. Sand by Hugh Howey. I absolutely loved his Silo series and anytime someone asks for a good dystopia read, I recommend it. And any author that writes a book that I love is usually worth reading more from.
6. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? By Philip K Dick. This is the book the movie Blade Runner was based on, but I’ve never seen the movie. I like a dystopian now and then and this one is supposed to be a classic.
7. A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. I like vampires and I like witches so it's odd that I didn’t dive in immediately when it came out.
8. The Retreat by Sarah Pearse. This is a mystery. I read the first book and loved it, and usually when I read a series I can’t pick up the sequels fast enough, but here, I floundered.
9. Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant. My understanding is that this novel is about mermaids (I could be wrong). After Animal Planet’s mockumentary about mermaids (I know that was a long time ago) I developed an interest in the subject but I can’t say I’ve ever found a book about them that I wanted to read.
10. All Systems Red by Martha Wells. For a while I was seeing this book everywhere from Facebook to Goodreads. I’ve read the blurb, it sounds right up my alley and although I don’t usually ready ‘hype books’ I’m curious as to what all the fuss is about.
Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to leave me your thoughts! I try to respond to all comments and questions, so come back soon!