My picks for the Tuesday Top Ten, as invented by The Broke and Bookish. The rules for the Top Ten Tuesday REWIND, say to pick from previous topic that I want to do again or missed the first time around. So I read through the list and chose Top Ten Favorite Book Quotes from Tuesday, May 8, 2012...I didn't even have a blog in 2012, so it's safe to say I missed it!
1. "If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
--JK Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
2. "We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words."
--Anna Sewell, Black Beauty
3. "I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept."
--Neil Gaimen, Neverwhere
4. "For in every adult there dwells the child that was, and in every child there lies the adult that will be."
--John Connolly, The Book of Lost Things
5. "This is the truth: We are a nation accustomed to being afraid. If I'm being honest, not just with you but with myself, it's not just the nation, and it's not just something we've grown used to. It's the world, and it's an addiction.
People crave fear. Fear justifies everything. Fear makes it okay to have surrendered freedom after freedom until our every move is tracked and recorded in a dozen databases the average man will never have access too. Fear creates, defines, and shapes our world, and without it, most of us would have no idea what to do with ourselves.
Our ancestors dreamed of a world without boundaries, while we dream new boundaries to put around our homes, our children, and ourselves. We limit our potential day after day in the name of a safety that we refuse to ever achieve. We took a world that was huge with possibility and we made it as small as we could."
--Mira Grant, Feed.
6. "Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest of hearts."
--Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind
7. "Any moment called now is always full of possibilities."
--China Mieville, Kraken
8. "If you ever have children, tell them the must always be drunk. Drunk on love, drunk on poetry, drunk on wine, it doesn't matter. This world is too goddamn painful to waste a second of your existence sober."
--Benjamin Hale, The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore
9. "Books are my friends, my companions. They make me laugh and cry and find meaning in life."
--Christopher Paolini, Eragon
10. "Writers perform an extremely important role: they make others dream, those who are unable to dream for themselves. And everyone needs to dream. Could there be any more important job in life than that?"
--Felix J Palma, The Map of the Sky.