The Highly Effective Detective Goes to the Dogs by Rick Yancey

The Highly Effective Detective Goes to the Dogs (The Highly Effective Detective #2)


Private Investigator Teddy Ruzak, is about to be shut down for practicing without a license when a dead body is found just outside his office...He's also planning on adopting a dog. This book was really bizarre; it wasn't a bad story, it was just weird.

First the writing style is just so young, I was under the impression that the book had been intended for children... until a couple of grope-scenes and dropped F-bombs reversed that line of thinking. Second, we're dealing with an overweight, amateur sleuth, with an ADD train of thought and a middle-school sense of humor...Which brings me right back to this book is for children even if there a child-inappropriate moments. I suppose this could also be for adults with childlike attention spans, but that person is not me.

I marked this book with three stars because I gave me a laugh and kept me busy. The problem is, I can't tell if Rick Yancey's writing is amateurish or if he was purposely writing a juvenile story for adults because this is his idea of a joke. Airing on the side of generosity, I've decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and say this story is exactly as it was intended: A light, easy, readable, mystery with more laughs than thrills. That said a part of me wonders, if I haven't been overly generous.

Rating 3/5
Original review date:
Aug 3, 12

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post

Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want to Live In

Top Ten Things On My Bookish Bucket List