Perplexed by the Fire

Guess who got the new Kindle Fire for Christmas? If you guessed me, you're right. Guess who doesn't entirely know what to do with it? If you guess me, you're right again.

Here's the thing. I spend a lot of time on my computer. I spend a lot of time with books. I spend a lot of time on horses. I try very hard to keep my worlds from colliding. The barn is probably the one place in the world where I never carry a book. And when I'm reading books, on a device, I want the device to resemble the pages of an actual book more than my computer screen. Which is why I picked out a Kindle Touch the day I went shopping for a eReader. It's simple, black and white, no extra buttons, no back light to tire my eyes. It had extremely long battery life and great memory.

The Kindle Fire is an eReader for the gadget lover...Which I am not. Dog Shaming  was my first download, mainly because I knew a book of photographs was the most obvious thing to have on a Kindle made for color. The second download, was Minion Rush, a time sucking adorable game that I keep playing even though I feel a little guilty about it, lol.

But I'm slowly coming to the realization, I'm not sure what to do with my Fire. I can spend hours reading, but the battery has a short life, and my eyes will eventually tire from staring at the lit screen. For reading, I still prefer my Touch. And as fun as Minion Rush is, there will come a time when I am bored with it and it won't be cute anymore...

So my question is this:
Aside from TV apps, is there anything really clever and/or fun I can use Kindle Fire for that I'm just not seeing at the moment? What unique things do you do with yours (assuming you have one)?

Comments

  1. Hmm. I don't have a Kindle Fire, but I do use the Kindle app on my IPad -- and find myself going back more often to my older Kindle (early generation) that's just a tool for reading! I have a problem with lit screens as well, so given how much I read, I find it easier on my eyes to use my plain old, no frills Kindle. I do like the app on the IPad for illustrated books, books with maps, colored text or diagrams, special formating, etc -- all the types of features that the simple Kindles can't do very well. I got my dad a Kindle Fire last year, and he uses it more for the other functions (like checking email on the go) than for reading. I hope you end up liking yours!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still stand by it isn't great for reading, but I've discovered it's great for late night with Youtube...I haven't been spending a lot of time on Youtube because my laptop's got a damaged fan and the videos make the hardware hot...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your thoughts! I try to respond to all comments and questions, so come back soon!

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want to Live In

The Sunday Post

Top Ten Things On My Bookish Bucket List