Top Ten Most Unique Books I've Read


My picks for the Tuesday Top Ten, as invented by The Broke and Bookish. Today's theme, Top Ten Most Unique Books I've Read (maybe the MC was really different, maybe it was the way it was written, a very unique spin on a genre or topic, etc.).

  1. Evan Burl and The Falling by Justin Blaney. The word I would use to describe it: psychedelic. It's like reading about what I imagine a bad high would be like.
  2. The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore by Benjamin Hale. An evaluation of humanity by an animal that wants to be human.
  3. What-the Dickens by Gregory Maguire. How often do you see books about tooth-fairies?
  4. Ursula, Under by Ingrid Hill. Get to know a family by reading the story of their ancestors.
  5. Songmaster by Orson Scott Card. A obsessed emperor and an intergalactic singer whose voice is magic. And enough tragedy and betrayal to make Shakespeare proud.
  6. Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I appreciated how the topic of zombies was handled from the emotional perspective of the newly-deceased's' loved ones.
  7. Ape House by Sara Gruen. I loved getting a story by the POV of a scientist who works with apes, its nice to read something about apes that isn't Peta-propaganda...What's more I loved being appalled by the misconceptions and abuses portrayed in this book and how the bonobos wound up on reality tv because really; reality tv is kind of disgusting and I could totally see this happening in real life.
  8. Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. So books like these aren't really unique anymore, the blending of biographical fact with extreme fiction, but since this is the first and only one of it's kind that I've ever read, I'm saying it counts.
  9. Animal Farm by George Orwell. Despite the fact that I hated the book, I am a big enough person to acknowledge there is a reason why this story of farm animals turned communists has earned its place among classic literature.
  10. Kraken by China Mieville. Sci-fi/fantasy/mystery, about a stolen Cephalopod and the craziest cults imaginable that want to get the end of the world under way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post

Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want to Live In

Top Ten Things On My Bookish Bucket List