Welcome


"I may not know how to fly but I know how to read and that's almost the same thing."-- Gregory Maguire, Out of Oz

"...while finding true love was one of the most splendid things that could happen to you in life, finding a friend was equally splendid." -- Felix J Palma, The Map of the Sky

 photo treediv_zps8acbd086.png

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Top Ten Books I Was Forced to Read by Teachers

My picks for the Tuesday Top Ten, as invented by The Broke and Bookish.

Today's theme is Top Ten Books I Was Forced to Read (either by teachers, friends, other bloggers, reviews). I easily narrowed that down to teachers because my friends don't read much and while I might be inspired by a fellow blogger or reviewers to pick up something new, that isn't actually force. I should note, that these books stuck in the forefront of my mind long after school's end which is why they made the list, they don't necessarily qualify as favorites... I'll never understand why teachers love tragedy.

1.  The Outsiders by SE Hinton. Had to read it in Middle School. A lot of people like it, I am not one of them. I'm sure there was a point, I was just too young to understand what it was.

2.  Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. Middle School Read. Liked it until I reached the ending. As an animal lover, I don't really like stories that kill animal characters, it leaves me feeling disturbed. Since I was a kid when I read it, it pretty much gave me nightmares.

3. The Yearling by Marjorie Rawlings. Middle School Read. See reason given for number two. Seriously, why are all these old timey stories so happy to off the best characters?

4. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare. Both Middle School and High School. They created such a mess, I didn't feel sorry that they died. Is that wrong? But I didn't dislike it, I just didn't get it.

5.Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. High School Read. I understood this book: the "strong shall inherit the earth and the weak should die, die, die! I don't agree with it, but then John Steinbeck did some pretty messed up things in The Red Pony, so maybe he should have seen a therapist...

6. Animal Farm by George Orwell. High School Read. Its all fun and games until the pig puts you on a slaughter truck.

7.Enders Game by Orson Scott Card. High school. A videogame that destroys the world.

8. Black Dogs by Ian McEwan. Finally, one I enjoyed...I only had to wait until college, thanks for ruining my life teachers of grades 6-12!

9.Eye in the Door by Pat Barker. Loved it.

10.Rapture by Susan Minot...Probably the one book I read in college that I didn't absolutely love...My classmates and I called it "The Blowjob Book" when the professor was out of the room.

...So over the years, teachers have made me read some pretty sick things...Which now leads me to suspect the reason why people don't read for pleasure once they leave school. Someone should tell those people, that there are happy books out there, too. And ask why they don't work their way into curriculum more often...

8 comments:

  1. You've got a nice list today. I had to read many of those as part of a literature class. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literature classes were always the best; love or hate the books assigned, there was always something to discuss. Who went to algebra and said, "That equation had a great ending!"

      Delete
  2. I remember liking THE OUTSIDERS when I read it in middle school, but you're right, it's probably meant for older kids. I should re-read it now as an adult and see what I think ...

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think about re-reading Orwell and Hinton; its always interesting to see how your own views change over the year...But I can't ever go back to The Yearling, lol.

      Delete
  3. I have read only three of the books. :(
    And now after reading your views, I don't think I'm much interested either in reading them. :P
    Vinny @ Books Are My Best Friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I didn't mean to wreck anyone's ambition... I just don't get why tragic books wind up on school reading lists...Don't kids have enough problems with homework, hormones, and mean girls on the prowl?

      Delete
  4. I can't believe I forgot some of the books you have on here on my list! Where the Red Fern Grows reminds me so much of my childhood that it is ridiculous!! Thanks for this great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its funny how books can do that. Much of 6th grade is a blur to me, but I always remembered the books I was handed.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your thoughts! I try to respond to all comments and questions, so come back soon!